Did You Know?
1. Cork Harbour is one of the largest natural harbours in the World after Sydney, Australia.
2. More that 3 million Irish emigrants departed Ireland from the port of Cobh, Co. Cork (formerly Queenstown) between 1845 – 1950.
3. Titanic was built in Ireland and Cork was its last port of call on its ill fated voyage.
4. Cork harbour is home to the oldest yacht club in the world.
5. The first ship to cross the Atlantic Ocean using only steam power departed Cork in 1838.
6. The Lusitania a British cruise ship was torpedoed off Kinsale, Co. Cork in 1915 and was one of the main reasons the United States became involved in World War I.
7. The headquarters of the Irish Navy is on Haulbowline Island.
8. In 1580 Sir Francis Drake along with a fleet of five ships took refuge in one of the many tributaries of Cork harbour to avoid a Spanish armada.